1939 National Soccer League

President: Arthur Arnold
Vice-presidents: Tom Byford and George Owen
Secretary: George McBain

Annual general meeting

The annual general meeting was held at Queen’s Hotel in Montreal on Saturday February 25, 1939. Arthur Arnold was elected as president of the league, replacing Duncan Cameron who did not want to be re-elected. Tom Byford of Hamilton United and George Owen of Sons of England were elected as vice-presidents and George McBain was re-elected as secretary.

Clubs and players

Hamilton Stelcos joined the league from the Hamilton & District League.

After the season the British Consols decided not to operate the following season and ten of their players joined the Maple Leafs.

In December 1939 resigned from the league this as several players had enlisted in the armed services.

Results and standings

Western Section semifinals
September 16, 1939 Toronto
Ulster United 6 (George Graham 5, ???)
England United

Ulster United qualified for Western Section finals

British Consols defeated Hamilton City

British Consols qualified for Western Section finals

Western section finals
September 21, 1939 Toronto
British Consols 2
Ulster United 2
September 23, 1939 Toronto
British Consols 1
Ulster United 0
British Consols won the two-game, total goal series 

Eastern Section    

Carsteel easily won the Eastern Section. This was the sixth time in 12 years that Carsteel won the Eastern Section. By September 11th Paul Emil Castonguay had scored 38 goals in all competitions. They only dropped one point by drawing with Royal Victoria Hospital.

At the end of the season the National Soccer League Eastern Section gathered at the Queen’s Hotel in Montreal on Friday October 27th for a Supper Dance in the Spanish Rooms. The highlight of the evening was the presentation of the Lord Atholstan Cup to Royal Victoria Hospital.

Eastern section finals
Royal Victoria Hospital defeated Montreal Carsteel

Lord Atholstan Final
Royal Victoria Hospital defeated Toronto British Consols