Full name:Robert McCool
Position:Outside right
Date of Birth:11 August 1942
Place of Birth:Edinburgh, Scotland
Date of Death:22 March 2019
Place of Death:England

Playing career:

Ormiston Primrose
1959-1960Third Lanark
1960-1961Third Lanark
1961-1962Third Lanark
1962Hamilton Steelers
1962-1963Cheltenham Town
1963-1964Cheltenham Town9
1964-1965Cheltenham Town
1965-1966Gloucester City3212
1966-1967Gloucester City193
1967-1968Gloucester City395
1968-1969Gloucester City488
1969-1970Gloucester City558
1970-1971Gloucester City184
1971-1972Gloucester City287
1972-1973Gloucester City266
1973-1974Gloucester City232
1974-1975Gloucester City92
Bishop’s Cleeve


Bobby started his career with the Rangers Youth Team in Glasgow. He then played junior football with Ormiston Primrose.

In February 1960 he joined Scottish First Division club Third Lanark. Bobby broke into the first team when only 17 years old and played in three Scottish League games before he broke his ankle. He was given a free transfer by Third Lanark in April 1962.

In May 1962 he joined Eastern Canada Professional Soccer League club Hamilton Steelers. Probably his most memorable game for the Steelers was their exhibition game against Montreal Cantalia on Wednesday night July 4, 1962, when the match was stopped by referee Betts with ten minutes to play. The match was stopped when fighting first broke out between the players, and then the spectators became involved.

In an interview with this is Gloucestershire published on June 19, 2013 Bobby said “But it wasn’t as bad a game in Montreal early in my career when I had a corner flag split over my head after a pitch invasion and ended up having eight stitches!”

Further in the interview Bobby said “I loved it in Canada and played with players from all over the world, but I was homesick because I was on my own and only 18 years old.”

After receiving offers from Dunfermline Athletic and Hastings United he joined Cheltenham Town in August 1962. Bobby made his debut against Margate on August 18, 1962. He went on to make 123 appearances, scoring 33 goals for Cheltenham.

In 1965 Bobby joined Gloucester City and was voted as Gloucester City’s Player of the Season in 1966-67 and 1967-68. Retired after the 1974-1975 season.

Bobby passed away in March 2019 at the age of 76.


Interview – thisisgloucestershire.co.uk

Cheltenham Town story – from ctfc.com

Gloucester City stats – from http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/bobbymccool.php