Full name:David Anthony Whytock
Position:Wing half
Date of Birth:3 May 1940
Place of Birth:Dundee, Scotland
Date of Death:24 February 1978
Place of Death:Berwick, England

Playing career:

Dundee East Craigie
1958-1959Brechin City198
1959-1960Brechin City173
1959-1960Dundee United96
1960-1961Dundee United00
1960-1961Brechin City
1961-1962Brechin City
1962-1963Keith Football Club
1963-1964Keith Football Club
1964-1965Keith Football Club
1965-1966Keith Football Club
1966Montreal Inter
1967Ottawa St. Anthony


Dave was born in Dundee, Scotland. He first made his mark in soccer with Lawside Academy. Educated at Queen’s College in Dundee.

Joined Scottish Second Division club Brechin City in September 1958. Played in 19 games and scored 8 goals in all competitions in the 1958-1959 season. In the 1959-1960 Dave scored 3 goals in 17 games in all competitions.

Transferred from Brechin City to Dundee United for £600 on 23 December 1959. Scored three goals in his debut for United in their 6-0 win over East Fife on 26 December 1959. Released by Dundee United in February 1961.

Returned to Brechin City on 6 March 1961. While playing for Brechin City in the Scottish Second Division he studied science at Queen’s College in Dundee. He left the club after the 1961-62 season.

Dave then joined Highland League club Keith Football Club. He mostly played at right half but would sometimes deputize as an inside forward. He was at the same time working as a college researcher in Dundee. Played his last game for Keith FC against Brora Rangers on Saturday 9 October 1965.

Flew to Canada on Tuesday 12 October 1965. Dave worked for the National Research Council (NRC) in Ottawa from 1965 until 1967 as a visiting scientist. While working in Ottawa he joined Eastern Professional Soccer League club Montreal Inter. Dave commuted to Montreal for training sessions and games.

On 22 May 1966 he policed Carlos Metidieri in the ECPSL All-Star game. On Wednesday 13 July 1966 he kept former Real Madrid forward Yanko Daucik in check for most of Montreal Inter’s game against Toronto Italia-Falcons.

In the 1967 season he played for Ottawa St. Anthony in the Montreal Major League.

At the end of his term in Canada he returned to Scotland. Later worked as an Essex University lecturer in Colchester, England.

Chairman of Colchester Labour Party. Was “strongly in favour of devolution” it was reported in The Scotsman on Monday 12 December 1977.

Dave was named Labour candidate for the Dundee East constituency for the 1979 United Kingdom general election.

He was killed when, on route to a political meeting, his car collided with a bus. The accident happened on the A1 close to Ayrton on 24 February 1978. Nobody else was hurt.